We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Heaviness in the legs: causes and symptoms. Useful tips and more effective natural treatments to prevent and relieve this unpleasant feeling that often becomes disabling!
When the temperatures rise and we start to feel the heat, it can happen to have an unpleasant sense of heaviness in the legs. This unpleasant sensation, which is sometimes accompanied by tingling and cramping in the calves, occurs mainly in the evening or when we stand for a long time. The cause is due to a problem affecting the peripheral blood circulation.
Why is heaviness in the legs accentuated in the summer?
The heat produces a vasodilating effect, as a result the blood accumulates under the tissues, producing inflammation, especially in the ankle area.
Heaviness in the legs, causes
Various factors can trigger heaviness in the legs. Let's see them together:
- Poor blood circulation
- Sedentary life
- Excess physical activity
- Long working days on your feet
- Fluid retention
- Incorrect feeding
- Particularly hot climate
- clothing that is too tight and heels that are too high
- Heart failure
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Problems with the thyroid gland
- Excess sodium in the diet
- Kidney or liver failure
- Taking medications, especially antihypertensives, antidepressants and birth control pills
Heaviness in the legs, remedies
Remedies to combat heaviness in the legs vary according to the cause of the disorder. If the pain is due to excessive physical activity, it is advisable to rest and do cold compresses morning and evening for at least a week. When it comes to poor circulation it is essential to get your legs moving. It is also advisable to keep the legs raised while resting, drink plenty of fluids, consume fruit and vegetables, potassium-based supplements and avoid excessive heat for the limbs. In case of water retention it is advisable to reduce the salt and favor foods with diuretic properties
Regardless of the triggering factor, it is good to eat a balanced diet that includes:
- fruit vegetables
- foods rich in fiber
- Foods rich in diuretic properties
- Consumption of ginger, rosemary, cinnamon and chilli
- Elimination of saturated fats, salami, white sugar and products with refined flour
- at least 8 glasses of water a day
Heaviness in the legs, useful recommendations
- Physical or rather aerobic activity plays a fundamental role in the treatment of heavy legs. Our recommendation is to walk every day for at least half an hour or ride a bike or rather enroll in a dance class
- Avoid standing, if you are forced to take a break from time to time to sit down for a few seconds
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes and fabrics that do not allow the skin to breathe: tight clothing hinders the venous return from the legs to the heart.
- Lift your legs in the evening for at least 30 minutes before falling asleep
- Keep blood pressure under control
- Soak your feet in cold water for about 10 minutes to stimulate circulation.
Massages to relieve heaviness in the legs
Massages are a good option to relieve the feeling of heaviness in the legs as they promote blood circulation. For an even more effective result we can practice massages by applying an oil. In this regard, we suggest the most suitable oils in case of heaviness in the legs
- Cypress: promotes lymphatic drainage, relieving pressure and heaviness.
- Juniper: is an energizing oil capable of relieving night cramps
- Lemon: thanks to its toning action it promotes micro circulation
Massages should be done in the evening, before going to bed. This treatment also promotes better sleep quality!
Infusions to promote circulation
If the heaviness in the legs is due to poor circulation, we can opt for the intake of certain. We suggest the most suitable for the case:
- Ginkgo biloba: thanks to the high presence of flavonoids, this ingredient proves to be a powerful vasodilator. Helps promote circulation and coagulation, avoiding the risk of blood clots
- Horsetail: its regular consumption helps to lower cholesterol and prevent stiffening of the arteries caused by poor blood circulation.
- Butcher's broom: thanks to its toning action, it is effective in treating and preventing heaviness in the legs but also swelling in the ankles.